In North India, Khasta Kachori is served with aloo ki sabzi, coriander chutney or tamarind chutney as breakfast and relished with hot tea in the evening.
Fillings of the kachori can vary from region to region. Some popular types are pyaaz kachori, aalo kachori, dal kachori, raj kachori etc..
To view the full video of how to prepare moong dal khasta kachori click here- Full video of moong dal khasta kachori.
This crispy, flaky and irresistible snack filled with savoury lentil stuffing & spices, can be stored up to weeks.
Our house lives on no onion garlic diet most of the times, so no onion in this one. You can add onion to its masala if you like.
This recipe comes from Ammaji, she lives in my neighbourhood & since childhood days I’ve been hooked on these kachoris, so I had to learn this recipe. A few days back when she came to our house I made these kachoris under her guidance, and these kachoris turned out to be as amazing as hers.. 🙂 “bachpan ki yaad aa gyi”
Do give this recipe a try & treat your taste buds to these yummy khasta kachoris.
Ingredients Required in Khasta Kachori Recipe:-
Makes 1 kg kachori
- All purpose flour(maida) – 1 kg
- Oil or ghee – 200ml (1 cup) approx
- Water – 400 ml (2 cups) (less or more to prepare soft dough)
- Salt – 2 Tsp
- Baking powder – ¼ tsp
- Split skinned yellow gram (dhuli moong dal) – 250 gm
- Water – 375 ml
- Oil – 100 ml (½ cup)
- Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Asafetida (hing) – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1½ tbsp
- Fennel seeds powder (saunf powder) – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder (dhania powder) – 3 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
How to prepare Khasta Kachori:-
There are three steps to prepare this kachori :
- Making the filling
- Making the dough
- Assembling and frying the kachori
How to make Kachori kachori filling:-
- Put 2 cup yellow moong dal & 3 cup water in the pressure cooker & cook it until 2 whistles.
- Now in a large kadhai or pan, pour ½ cup oil & add boiled dal to it.
- Now mix the dal continuously while roasting it on medium-low flame.
- Roasting will take time from about 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Dal colour changes from yellow to brown.
- In the end, no water content should be left in dal, & it’ll now not stick on the base of the pan while you roast it.
- Now add red chilli powder, asafetida (hing), fennel seeds powder (saunf powder), garam masala powder, coriander powder (dhania powder) and salt to this mixture & mix well.
- Keep aside and let the mixture cool down.
How to make khasta kachori dough:-
- Add flour, salt, oil, baking powder and half of the water in a medium bowl & mix to form a dough.
- Add remaining water and continue to form the dough.
- At the end add some more oil to bind the dough properly. Prepare a soft dough.
Assemble & frying the kachori:-
- Divide the dough into small balls.
- Roll out each dough ball, and pour some filling inside the rolled dough.
- Bring all the edges together, pinch to seal & press.
- Apply gentle pressure with your fingers & flatten kachori, taking care that the filling does not ooze out or tears the dough.
- Prepare all the kachori in the same way.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on low flame.
- When the oil is hot, gently add the kachori. Seeing how much space you have in the pan, add more kachori one at a time & keep turning them..After they are half done, now switch to medium flame until they are evenly fried until light brown in colour.