Palak khichdi is a complete wholesome meal which is delicious, comforting and filled with nutrients. I simply love to play around with the ingredients of the recipes. And here comes this recipe which is a perfect balance of carbohydrate and protein, along with various nutrients including iron and fibre.
The first time when I tried this recipe my family loved it and they won’t believe that how come a khichdi can taste so good. Overcoming all the other dishes prepared on that day. Do try this recipe and who never know maybe this can become next staple food at your home. Let’s see how to prepare this one.
How to make Palak Khichdi
- First of all, wash well tuvar dal, arhar dal and brown rice. Soak for around half-hour both dal and rice.
- After soaking put arhar dal, tuvar dal and rice into the pressure cooker and around 4 cups of water. Add salt to taste and turmeric powder into it. Cook for around 4-5 whistles. Two whistles on high flame and then three whistles on low flame.
- Now in a mixer grinder add palak leaves and green chillies and little water and make a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp ghee into it. Add cumin seeds to this, and once the seeds start spluttering, add hing, cumin powder, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, black pepper and whole red chillies, ginger to this. Give this a stir.
- Add chopped onion to this. Once the onion starts to turn light brown, add chopped tomatoes to this. Add garam masala and mix well.
- Now add pureed palak to this and mix well. Cook for around 4-5 minutes.
- Add this cooked puree to cooked dal and brown rice. Mix well and let this cook for around 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee, curd and papad. Make this delicious protein-rich recipe for lunch and enjoy with your family.
Pro Tip: You can add half tablespoon of dry mango powder(amchoor) into the dish while cooking for that extra tangy taste.
Liked the recipe? Do try other delicious recipes from the blog as well. http://forkfulofhappiness.net/recipe/quinoa-upma/ http://forkfulofhappiness.net/recipe/healthy-cream-of-spinach-soup/ http://forkfulofhappiness.net/recipe/bajra-kheer-recipe/